Hi Parents and Students,
St. Joseph Academy will be closed indefinitely during this time. All students will learn remotely and are responsible for listening to the videos and completing all work on the assigned days. Please look under each subject to find the videos and assignments. Lessons will be posted daily. Thank you for your cooperation and patience as this is a new procedure for all of us.
Please upload completed assignments daily to your child’s private DropBox account. I emailed each of you a link in order to facilitate the process. This way, I will know that students are attending school and working each day. These photos also are used as assessments and grades during this time. I will call and/or email only once if I do not receive assignments.
Please remember to look at the websites for the specials teachers for any specific assignments.
For additional family-time activities, please click on classroommagazines.scholastic.com.
- Monday, April 6th: We will meet on Tuesday, April 7th, at 8:30 for homeroom on Zoom.com. Meeting ID: 755 545 015. Password: 617366
- Monday, April 6th: Click here for Mrs. Minetti’s next music assignment. Please email all completed work to email@example.com. Please remember to put your child’s name and grade on the assignment. Please do not upload music assignments in your private DropBox account. Please do not send completed music assignments to my school email account.
- Monday, April 6th: Click here for Mr. Konciak’s May art assignment. This Powerpoint is for reference only. Please go to his web page for additional instructions on the Piet Mondrain project. Please email all completed art assignments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please label each assignment with your child’s name and Grade 2. Please do not send them to either my or Mr. Konciak’s school email accounts.
- Friday, April 3rd: I added Mobymax to the catalog of online educational resources. Please click here for an instructional guide on how to log on the site. I hope to use this site next week.
- Friday, April 3rd: The online SuperKids assessment is due today. Please click here for a helpful video created by Tabi’s mom, Mrs. Torres, for information on how to access the online SuperKids assessment. Please email me at my school account if you need your child’s password to complete the assessment.
- Friday, April 3rd: Please have your kids complete the two math assignments found on Freckle.com in the math section of this web page, if they haven’t already done them. Here is the video of the student login and the assignment posted on the website. Students must log in using their full first and last names.
- Wednesday, March 25th: Please click here for Mr. Konciak’s second art project. These pictures are for reference only. Please go to his web page for additional instructions on the optical illusion project. The due date is April 24th. Please email all completed art assignments to email@example.com. Please label each assignment with your child’s name and Grade 2. Please do not send them to either my or Mr. Konciak’s school email accounts.
- Sundays: All lessons and videos will be kept on the website for one week. Each Sunday, I will delete all videos and lessons in order to add the new week’s lessons.
- Thursdays: Gym class at 12:30 on zoom.com. Meeting ID is 767 189 4091.
All I have to say to you, my littles, is WOW! You are doing an awesome job with all of your work. I am happy that you have logged on to Freckle.com and Superkidsreading.org and completed online math and reading work. You are proving how third-grade ready you have become this Spring. I loved sharing Wacky Wednesday with you and will soon put up your pictures! I know that you enjoying this time with your family! I miss your adorable faces!
The WOW deserves to be repeated to you, Parents. I appreciate the time it takes to upload all of the work on DropBox. This ensures that your child is marked for attendance and grades. You have made the transition to crisis-schooling an easier one than anticipated. It was nice to see you on Wacky Wednesday and in gym class. It is clear that you have earned your home-schooling badge of honor and courage during these 15 days.
MONDAY, APRIL 6th’s, VIDEOS AND ASSIGNMENTS: Journal (video), Superkids workbook (video), math (two videos and Mobymax online assignment), religion, social studies, penmanship (video and practice), and new music.
TUESDAY, APRIL 7th’s, VIDEOS AND ASSIGNMENTS: Journal (video), Math (video and Mobymax Chapter 7 test), penmanship
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 8th’s, VIDEOS AND ASSIGNMENTS:
THURSDAY, APRIL 9th’s, VIDEOS AND ASSIGNMENTS:
FRIDAY, APRIL 10th’s, VIDEOS AND ASSIGNMENTS: NO SCHOOL! HAPPY EASTER BREAK!
Please read with your child for 15 minutes each night. Please use the Orton-Gillingham method of arm tapping of red words practiced in class to master the spelling of red words. Please allow your children to read phonics homework aloud on their own. It does not help your children develop reading fluency if you complete the work.
- Link to Duke Farms Eagle Cam.
- Link to the San Diego Zoo Koala cam
- Link to the Jenkinsons aquarium penguin exhibit.
- Link to Dollywood’s Eagle Cam. This is in Tennessee. Click on the Grant and Glenda camera. Glenda laid both eggs at the beginning of March, so be on the look out. It takes 35 days for them to hatch! They will be hatching soon, probably next week before Easter. Look for the pip, a small crack in the shell when the chick’s beak penetrates the shell to take its first breath of air.
LESSONS FOR THE WEEK OF APRIL 6th – 9th
(all lessons are subject to change)
THURSDAY FUN #1: Magical Ride
THURSDAY FUN #2: Spring Surprise
THURSDAY FUN #3: Country Dance
FUN FRIDAY ART! This one is super secret. Click here for the story. Then, I need you to create a Mail-A-Hug picture for Mrs. J. You can tape (long ways, on the back) two or three white pieces of paper together. Then, lay down and place your head and arms on the paper and have someone trace around you. Next, you can color and decorate yourself. I would like to surprise her next Wednesday during Lab and wave all of our hugs. Remember to take a picture and send it to me. Click here for a model of the project.
JOURNAL WRITING: Students will write daily in their journals. Topics will be given and students will practice brainstorming of ideas prior to writing. Students will learn paragraph development and understand the concepts of main idea and details.
SPELLING: Students will practice the Orton-Gillingham methods of clapping out sounds in pattern words and arm tapping of red words. They will use the Decodable Book on the SmartBoard to develop reading fluency. Students will mark pages either with a CW (classwork) or HW (homework). Phonics: Associate vowels with short-vowel sounds RF.2.3a; Blend sounds to decode words RF.2.3; Spelling: Encode words using letter-sound knowledge L.2.2d; Listening and speaking: Follow oral directions: Listen to and discuss a read-aloud selection SL.2.1a, SL.2.2.
MONDAY: Three of you did not complete the SuperKids online assignment. Today is the last day I will accept the completion of this online work. Please click here for a helpful video created by Tabi’s mom, Mrs. Torres, for information on how to access the online SuperKids assessment. I have emailed your parents with your picture passwords.
FRIDAY, April 3: Spelling test
PHONICS: Students will continue their sixth packet on contractions. The packet is used as a combination of lessons/classwork and homework. The packet is designed to be completed as a unit and should NOT be completed in one night. They will continue to practice the Orton-Gillingham method of clapping out syllables in order to improve spelling. Pages will be marked with a CW (classwork) or HW (homework).
READING: Group setting: Students will practice pages 94 -103 in their second readers, The Superkids Take Off. They will review the table of contents and practice picture walks. They will listen to the pages on the SmartBoard to develop word awareness.
Book Club (in class/at home): Students will continue their sixth book, Good Night, Good Knight. This is an at-home reading assignment where students and parents share a book together. Students will complete a response journal about the book.
Super Magazine (in class): Students have received a themed, nonfiction magazine. The first theme is What’s New. They will learn the concepts of headlines, photo captions, news articles, features, and departments.
MATH: Students have completed Chapter 7: Hundreds, in their second workbook. Students will review the hundreds place. They also will use addition skills to solve to the hundreds, first with no regrouping, then single and double regrouping. They will use manipulatives, as well as the SMARTBoard, to improve fluency with basic fact fluency. Please do not have children go ahead in their workbooks, as lessons are designed as classwork and homework. Pages will be marked with CW (classwork) or HW (homework). It is important that you can continue to practice facts at home as students will rely more on mental math skills. Students will bring their math books home for two nights prior to the chapter test.
MONDAY: Mobymax instructional video. Please complete the pretest by the end of today, April 6.
MONDAY: Three of you have not completed your second Freckle.com assignment on addition and subtraction facts. You must remember to press the Enter key after each answer in order to reveal the puzzle on the screen. Once this is done, you will be able to submit/save your work and receive a score. Here is the video of the student login and the assignment posted on the website. Students must log in using their full first and last names.
TUESDAY: Chapter 8 classwork
RELIGION: Students will begin Chapter 12: We Celebrate the Sacrament of Forgiveness. This is the fifth chapter in their unit on the Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation. Key vocabulary includes contrition, confession, penance, absolution. When students have a chapter test, they will bring their books home for two days prior to the test. Please review and study the chapter at home with your child.
MONDAY: Please read pages 238 – 240 and complete page 242. This is a graded assignment.
WEDNESDAY: Please go to zoom.com or download the Zoom Cloud Meeting app. Mrs. J will conduct the experiment with us at 9:30. Join Zoom Meeting ID: 839 226 451, Password: 495010.
WEDNESDAY/THURSDAY: Please complete page 33 in your lab workbook. Reference picture
SOCIAL STUDIES: Students will use Social Weekly to learn different topics each week. Please keep the Weekly Readers in your child’s folder until I tell them they can keep them at home. Students will focus on Changes in America for the next several weeks. This includes Changes for the Native Americans, Immigration, History and Time, Exploration.
MONDAY: Please use your Weekly Reader, History and Time, to complete worksheet page 40 in your packet. This is a graded assignment. Click here for reference picture.
MONDAY: lowercase and capital o/O
Please write two rows of each letter. Then, practice the following words two times each: one, bone, old, cold, fold, gold, coin, code, odd, dog. I had a cold Coke. I like an old dog.
Please practice two rows of each letter. Plus, you can choose some of the following words to practice one time each: peach, pool, peacock, panda, pick, mop, policeman, pop. A panda can climb high.
Please remember to initial and return the behavior calendar each day.
Monday: Music (Mrs. Minetti) and Spanish (Mrs. Sanchez)
Tuesday: Computer (Mrs. Sanchez) and Art (Mr. Konciak),
Wednesday: Science Lab (Mrs. Jakowenko)
Thursday: Physical Education (Mr. Koslowski)
Thursday, April 9th, is an 11:50 dismissal.
School is closed from Friday, April 10th, through Sunday, April 19th.