Cookies with Santa
Thursday, December 13th
- Santa’s Secret Workshop begins on Monday, December 10th, and will conclude on Wednesday morning, December 12th. Only students with money will be able to shop at the store.
- Monday, December 10th, is the second Home-School Association meeting, beginning at 7:00. Report cards will be distributed at the conclusion of the meeting.
- Tuesday, December 18th, is an 11:50 dismissal with NO aftercare. It is the annual Christmas concert, which begins at 7:00. Students should report back to school by 6:45. There is a dress rehearsal at 9:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, December 19th, is the cheesecake delivery day.
- Friday, December 21st, is an 11:50 dismissal with NO aftercare.
- School reopens on Wednesday, January 2, 2019.
- Students will be dismissed in the kindergarten parking lot at 2:50 on full days and at 11:50 on half days. Please be prompt in picking up your children. Please do not leave your children unattended in the parking lot. You are responsible for them once the hand off has been made.
- Students are required to complete their homework each night. Please review the green assignment pad to ensure that the work is completed. You cannot return to the classroom to pick up any missing items. If a student does not complete their homework, he or she will complete the missed work during snack. Once completed, he or she may have the remainder of the snack period.
- Celebrating your child’s birthday is a fun activity that is shared by the entire class. We celebrate birthdays during snack time in the morning. Please email me to ask for an appropriate date to bring treats in for your child. Treats must be individual in nature, such as cookies, cupcakes, donuts, or munchkins. You may NOT send in ice cream or cakes, including cupcake cakes. Ice cream is messy and it is time-consuming to cut a cake into slices or break apart cupcake cakes. Please send in plates, napkins, and drinks as you deem necessary.
- Birthday party invitations must be for the entire class if your child brings them to school. They will be placed in that week’s brown envelopes. If invitations are limited, you must hand them out in the parking lot. They will be sent home if they are limited in number.
- Five pencils are to be sharpened at home each night. That is part of your child’s homework. We do not have the time to sharpen pencils in class. Additionally, colored pencils must be sharpened at home.
Please read with your child for 15 minutes each night. Please use the Orton-Gillingham method of arm tapping of red words practiced in class to master the spelling of red words. Please allow your children to read phonics homework aloud on their own. It does not help your children develop reading fluency if you complete the work.
SIX PILLARS OF CHARACTER
Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule • Be tolerant and accepting of differences • Use good manners, not bad language • Be considerate of the feelings of others • Don’t threaten, hit or hurt anyone • Deal peacefully with anger, insults, and disagreements
Common Core State Standards Abbreviations
RL: Reading Literature OA: Operations and Algebraic Thinking
RI: Reading Informational Text NBT: Numbers and Base Ten
RF: Reading Foundational Skills MD: Measurement and Data
W: Writing G: Geometry
SL: Speaking and listening
LESSONS FOR THE WEEK OF DECEMBER 10th – 14th
(all lessons are subject to change)
JOURNAL WRITING: Students will write daily in their journals. Topics will be given and students will practice brainstorming of ideas prior to writing. Students will learn paragraph development and understand the concepts of main idea and details.
SPELLING: Students will review the sounds of /oo/. Students will receive 16 – 20 spelling words, some of which are pattern words that follow the rule and can be sounded out, and red words, which do not follow rules. They will practice the Orton-Gillingham methods of clapping out sounds in pattern words and arm tapping of red words. They will use the Decodable Book on the SmartBoard to develop reading fluency. They will complete workbook pages 65 – 70. Students will mark either with a CW (classwork) or HW (homework). Students will take a test on Friday, December 14th.
PHONICS: Students will continue their unit on long vowels. This is their third packet. This is used as a combination of lessons/classwork and homework. The packet is designed to be completed as a unit and should NOT be completed in one night. They will continue to practice the Orton-Gillingham method of clapping out syllables in order to improve spelling. Pages will be marked with a CW (classwork) or HW (homework).
READING: Group setting: Students will practice pages 104 – 113 in their first readers, The Superkids Hit Second Grade. They will review the table of contents and practice picture walks. They will listen to the pages on the SmartBoard to develop word awareness.
Book Club (in class/at home): Students will receive their third book. This is an in-class/at-home reading assignment where students and parents share a book together. Students will complete a response journal about the book.
Super Magazine (in class): Students have received a themed, nonfiction magazine. The first theme is What’s New. They will learn the concepts of headlines, photo captions, news articles, features, and departments.
MATH: Students will begin their unit on addition with double-digit numbers. Students will begin with no regrouping and then move onto regrouping concepts. They will cover pages 157 – 164. Please continue to practice Reflex math at home to improve fact fluency. Please do not have children go ahead in their workbooks, as lessons are designed as classwork and homework. Pages will be marked with CW (classwork) or HW (homework). Please continue to practice facts at home.
SCIENCE: Students will continue their second CELL: The Earth’s Surface. Girls must pull back their hair on Friday, which is Lab Day. Students also will use a science textbook to learn about plants and animals.
Monday: Music (Mrs. Minetti) and Spanish (Mrs. Sanchez)
Tuesday: Computer (Mrs. Sanchez) and Art (Mr. Konciak)
Thursday: Physical Education (Mr. Koslowski)
Friday: Science Lab (Mrs. Jakowenko)
Friday, December 21st (11:50 Dismissal with NO aftercare)
School reopens on Wednesday, January 2, 2019